Last Updated on
Nigerian students have decided to start a nationwide protest, as the two-week ultimatum issued on the Federal Government by student leaders on school re-opening has elapsed.
The student leaders said they would converge at the Federal Ministry of Education, Abuja, while state coordinators would march to the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) secretariats in their various states.
NANCES president, Mahmud Abubakar, told The Guardian: “The purpose for the protest is still the re-opening of our campuses.
NAPS president, Sunday Asuku, assured us that the protest would be peaceful and that security agencies and the International Human Right Commission (IHRC) had been notified.
Asuku stated that:
It is so disheartening, appalling and unethical knowing that our government doesn’t place priority on education. We all know that COVID-19 is real, but extremely blown out of proportion in Nigeria. Our institutions have been placed under lock and key for good six months with the claim of preventing the spread of COVID-19 on campuses. As much as we appreciate the government for the acclaimed love, we condemn in totality the continued closure of our institutions.We understand that COVID-19 couldn’t halt the electoral process in Edo and Ondo states, even with the multitude coverging during rallies. We are tired of guidelines; reopen our school now.